Window Coverings – Easy Care and Cleaning
The following care and cleaning tips are taken from Hunter Douglas product guidelines. Always defer to your product manufacturer’s guidelines for specific care and cleaning instructions.For more care and maintenance information, go to Care and Cleaning Chart.
Aluminum horizontal blinds. Clean with a soft cloth using an over-the-counter blind cleaner or all surface cleaner.
Bathtub cleaning/water immersion. This cleaning process is used for faux wood blinds, aluminum horizontal blinds and most, but not all, honeycomb fabrics (Please consult Care and Cleaning Charts). Using a mild detergent and lukewarm water, submerge the entire shade assembly. Gently wash by moving water around your fingers for about five minutes. DO NOT immerse headrails (with the exception of standard cordlock honeycomb headrails).
- Gently rinse with clear water.
- Close the shade before carefully removing from the rinse water.
- Let excess water drain off by holding rails and tilting the window shade.
- Re-mount the damp shade into window opening.
- Keep shade lowered all the way until it completely dries.
Note: Keep honeycomb shades in fully lowered position when drying. Certain honeycomb fabrics should not be immersed in water. See Care and Cleaning Chart for details.)
Compressed air or hair dryer (use non-heat setting).
This method helps to blow dust off selected window coverings.
For most blinds, shades, shutters, and sheers, regular light dusting keeps your window coverings looking their best.
On-site injection/extraction cleaning services are available through On-Site Cleaners, a national network of trained professionals who clean Hunter Douglas products.
In the San Diego area call: Express Mobile Drapery Cleaning at 858-451-6287 or visit www.mobiledraperycleaning.com
Note: Although Hunter Douglas and Harmony Blinds and Shutters, acknowledges these cleaning methods are safe and effective, please be aware these are independent contractors and we cannot verify the quality of their work or services.
Injection/extraction cleaning system.
One of the most effective ways to deep clean your window treatments involves injecting cleaning solution into the fabric and then extracting the dirty solution in the same motion. There’s no need to remove your window coverings as this service is provided in the home. This method can be used for most any soft, fabric-based product, including these Hunter Douglas fashions:
- Alouette LightLouvers (translucent Clair fabrics only)
- Duette honeycomb shades
- Luminette Privacy Sheers
- Nantucket and Vignette® Modern Roman Shades
- Silhouette window shadings (except the Matisse Collection)
Note: Dry method is recommended for certain fabrics. Do NOT clean fabric-covered headrails or fabric-covered valances.
Shades and blinds may be gently spot cleaned using a moistened soft cloth or sponge. Add mild detergent to lukewarm water if needed. Blot gently. DO NOT rub as this may damage the fabric. Note: Spot cleaning may highlight clean portions of your window covering.
To remove wrinkles from some fabrics, use a hand-held travel-size steamer that provides continuous steam. Heavy-duty steamers are not recommended.
To deep clean, gently vacuum with the brush attachment of a vacuum cleaner. Use a vertical stroke to vacuum most products except for Luminette® Privacy Sheers.
Vinyl vertical blinds.
Apply a very thin film of detergent on slats and vanes to lessen build-up of static electricity. Dryer sheets also help eliminate static electricity and prevent dust from resettling.
These helpful hints are arranged by product category.
Tips for Cloth Tapes
To spot clean cloth tapes, look for fabric cleaning wipes at your local grocery store. Usually these wipes won’t discolor or leave a stain. Perform a cleaning test on the underneath side of the blind where the tape wraps around the bottom rail (This minimizes the visibility of any stain.)
Moisten a clean white soft cloth with cool distilled water to spot clean 100% polyester tapes. Use another dry clean cloth to support the trim from behind. Gently blot the soiled area and rinse by lightly blotting with distilled water. Let air dry. A gentle detergent may be used on the 100% polyester trims. Note: Spot cleaning may show cleaner areas.
DO NOT USE WATER if your tape is shiny or has a luster. Most likely the tape is made of rayon or acetate which may result in a water stain. Fabric cleaning wipes are best for all fiber content.
Fabric Shades or Shadings
- Launder vignette fabrics used as cut yardage with delicate detergents and the delicate wash cycle of your home washing machine. To dry, choose the cold, delicate setting on your home dryer. Vignette fabrics may also be dry cleaned.
- DO NOT spot clean Silhouette® or Nantucket™ window shadings.
- DO NOT use electrostatic cleaning tools, such as Pledge Grab-It™ or Swiffer™, on Silhouette or Nantucket window shadings, or on Vignette® EveScape™ room-darkening fabrics.
- DO NOT use magnetic cleaners such as a dusting mitt on room-darkening fabrics as this may cause damage to the roomdarkening backing.
- DO NOT use the injection/extraction process to clean Silhouette or Vignette fabric-covered headrails.
- DO NOT launder finished Vignette shadings.
Remember to spray glass cleaner onto a cloth to wipe windows. This prevents splattering liquid from staining the fabrics. Keep in mind fabric window covering products are for indoor use only.
PVC, Faux Wood or Vinyl Products
Wipe these window treatments with dryer sheets to lessen static cling and help repel dust.
DO NOT use abrasive cleaning products or chemical solvents as they will scratch or damage the surface.
Before selecting a professional ultrasonic cleaning technician for Luminette® sheer fabrics, be sure to ask the following:
- What is your previous experience with cleaning Luminette Privacy Sheers? Please provide references.
- Does your company have the proper equipment and product knowledge? Luminette Sheers need to be properly removed and transported to the cleaning facility. Sheers need to be rolled in a tube during transport to prevent wrinkling and damage.
- Do you know the recommended temperature of the bath water? Temperatures should not exceed 90 degrees F. Higher than recommended temperatures causes oxidation, especially for Evening Star® vanes.
- Important note: How long is your tank? Can it accommodate the length of the sheer? The cleaning tank needs to be as long as the height of the sheer to prevent folding and wrinkling of the vanes.
Wood Window Covering Products
- Use a dry, soft feather duster, clean cloth, dust cloth or dusting mitt. You may also use the soft brush attachment of your vacuum cleaner.
- DO NOT use the ultrasonic cleaning process or chemical solvents or scrubbing-type cleansers. They may damage the product.
- Again, remember to spray glass cleaner onto a cloth to wipe windows. This will help prevent splattering stains to the wood finish.
- Avoid exposure to steam, high moisture areas, rain or outside irrigation systems to extend the appearance of your fine wood products.
For questions about Hunter Douglas products call the Hunter Douglas Information Center at (800) 789.0331 Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. MST.
Harmony Blinds and Shutters
2545 El Cajon Blvd Ste 105
San Diego, CA 92104